Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Connectivism





On the game show, “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”, I found it interesting that one of the rules of the game is that you are given a “life line” to call someone who could help you. I always wondered who I would call if put in that situation. Who is it that I can count on more times than not to have the answer to my questions? In life, we not only count on “who” but also “what” to help us learn and my mind map shows the many parts to my network that facilitate my learning.

My network has changed over the years and the way I learn. As we are growing up, I am sure many of us learn much of our knowledge from family and friends. Right or wrong, they had the biggest influence in my learning and in many ways, still do. The most significant change has been the internet. This connection includes news and entertainment sites, search engines, blogs and social network sites. This is a digital tool that has completely changed my learning since it is immediate and usually accurate. Before I had to look things up in a book or talk to multiple people before getting the information I was seeking, but with the internet, the learning time has been dramatically decreased. Another important learning network is “media.” This includes television, newspapers, magazines and the radio. The “other” network includes people I may randomly meet, people I may work with but not necessarily consider “friends”, teachers/instructors and other students like me.

One of the things I observed while making my mind map is that with some connections they can learn from me as well. “Family”, “Friends”, and “Others” are all connections where we learn from each other. This resonates with the Connectivism theory since it is not one sided, but interactive and mutually beneficial.

My learning networks support the central tenets of connectivism. My networks have an abundance of information and are rich with visualization tools. Each network supports my learning in this complex environment. They connect with me cognitively, socially, culturally and are system based environments.

Depending on what information I need determines which connection I go to in my network. My dad is good for political issues, my son knows about cars, the radio and television is where I turn to for news and general pop culture and of course I turn to my professor for academic concerns. If I could only use the internet as a “life line” on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” then maybe I would be ready to give that show a try! Who or what are your “life lines” for learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment