Thursday, May 12, 2011

Project Wishes


     A few years ago, I came up with an idea to do something special at my school. I was teaching second grade at a school in Riverside, California and we were noted for being a large elementary school (1,100 students) but low income levels and low test scores. At the time, “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” and “Three Wishes” were television programs that were popular. After watching these shows, my idea was to somehow grant wishes to as many students and staff members as possible. The challenge was…well, everything! No one had done anything like this before and there was no money for a project like this either.

     My first step was to talk to my principal. She in essence was the main stakeholder that I needed full support and approval from. I put together an audio “commercial” that introduced the program with music, sound effects and a voice over. I also created “Wish Papers” that the students and staff could write down their wishes. Then I met with my principal, described the project, showed her the “wish” papers and played the commercial. She immediately had buy in and was ready to support and approve the project.
     The next step was to inform and invite the school staff to be part of this project. The principal and I presented the idea at a staff meeting and it was not well received. Many had questions and concerns, but mostly doubts. They thought the project would fail and very few were willing to help us carry out this project, but they all agreed to pass out the wish papers to their students. They were to give the students the wish paper and tell them to write down anything they wished for and not to limit their wishes.


     The students and staff wrote down their wishes and I collected them all in these pre-made envelopes that I put together for each class. Once I collected the envelopes, I went through and read all the wishes. The wishes ranged from simple items such as a toothbrush to the extremes such as a new roof or new car as well as requests for new siblings and even a husband for a mom!
     Since there was no budget for this project I decided to start the wish granting with my own money. I purchased some of the easier requests and started granting them. Slowly word was getting out and more wishes started to get granted. Then our principal talked to a local newspaper reporter and she came and did a story on us. From the moment the story hit the paper the school was inundated with calls and visits from people all over the city. In the end, we granted around 400 actual wishes, were given over $2,000 in cash and were able to give every student some kind of gift. There are so many amazing stories that happened during that school year and how individuals, offices and even another school participated in this project.
     In retrospect, there were parts to this project that were successful and parts that could have been improved. In essence, I was the Program Manager and my principal was the client and key stakeholder. Identifying her as the key supporter and stakeholder was important to this project. My first meeting with her we actually created an “oral” Statement of Work. We discussed the “Purpose, Objectives, Constraints and Assumptions” (Portny, Mantel, Meredith, Shafer, & Sutton, 2008, p. 43) of the Statement of Work. We should have written it down and signed off on it to make it official, but this project was such uncharted territory and not expected to be so successful that we did not think to do that.
     As the PM, I did fulfill many of the responsibilities of that role. According to the video, “Project Kickoff” (Walden University, 2010), Dr. Stolovich listed nine PM responsibilities. As the PM, I did “Launch the project, managed all the pieces, identified and engaged the stakeholders, allocated the resources and closed out the project.” (2010) However, at one point and for a few months, our principal decided to take on the role as PM and I was unable to “manage the activities” or “plan and execute follow up support” (2010) for some of the wishes. In time, our principal gave back the PM responsibilities to me which is why I was able to close the project, but many of the smaller details and activities were overlooked and not handled properly. It was during this time that my principal even offended a local office group that was heavily supporting our project. If I was taking care of the PM duties at that time, this would have been avoided.
     According to the article, “The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects!” (Greer, 2010) it lists steps to managing a project. The first step, “Define the project concept, then get support and approval” (Greer, 2010) was accomplished. The second step, “Get your team together and start the project” (Greer, 2010) was also met, even though the “team” was really only principal and myself at first. This is where we should have improved the success of the project. We should have gotten more support from other staff members at the very start of the project. As the project gained momentum, the office staff and some of the teachers jumped in to help, but we should have gotten more involved at the beginning. The third step, “Figure out exactly what the finished work products will be” (Greer, 2010) could have been better. We really had no idea where this project would lead us or even if it would grant any wishes, so we did not plan out what we wanted the finished project to look like.
     In the end, hundreds of students were granted their wish, an elementary school was the center of incredible blessings, and the project was not only successful but took on a life of its own. Years later I still run into families and other staff members that remind me of how amazing that year turned out to be.

 References
Greer, M. (2010). The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects! (Laureate custom ed.). Baltimore: Laureate Education, Inc.
Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
“Project Kickoff” Walden University, 2010





9 comments:

  1. Hi Dean,

    What a nice project. Imagination and faith are lost these days. I can imagine the great experience that you had while you were reading the students and teacher's wishes. You learned about their feelings, their needs and their hope.

    You mentioned as things that could be done differently, the fact of creating a team and planning outcomes. My experience had problems due to the lack of team support. The team has to buy in the idea. It is very difficult to work on our own when we work in an educational setting where many different persons impact the life of that student.

    I admire your efforts for this community. They would never forget and I am sure that even that student that wished a toothbrush...can now Share a wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting project. One of the greatest challenges in our schools is to obtain trust and complete control of projects or things that are assigned to us. Without offending, some principals delegate tasks to others and sometimes they decide to take control as a PM. With love and patience we should explain the implications of each part of the project. Definitely many will love to help or share ideas (creating scope creep) after the project is implemented. It is a challenge that teaches us a lesson. You idea is great and should be implemented in other schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dean,

    I truly enjoyed reading about your project. I'm glad you had a vision to help your school and wasn't afraid to carry out the project. As a teacher we work with students everyday and there are so many in need. Some we know about and some we don't. You had this vision to help everyone and that was amazing. I'm glad your principal was on board with your idea and didn't shut it down and say no. That shows that they are their for the students as well and sad to say, good leaders are hard to find these days in schools. I think it could have went a lot smoother if everyone would have been more receptive to the idea in the beginning. Also I think more people and businesses in the community would have been involved if you would have included them in the initial phase instead of just meeting with the principal. Maybe you could have invited the PTA and the school's business partners and I think you definitely would have been a huge success. Either way I'm glad you took it upon yourself to go above and beyond to help all the students.
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading what you and other classmates have done makes me feel like I should do more. That is a great program you started.

    Stopping the principal from taking over would have been a tricky thing if she really wanted to do it. It is hard to say no or convince the boss sometimes. My wife ran into a situation last year when she was working on a project and someone else offended a donor. The project can be in real jeopardy if a major donor is offended enough to pull out of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dean,

    Great Idea! Why did it stop? I see that the principle took over and gave it back and you should have had more help up front but over all it went well.

    Would you consider doing this again?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all!
    Thanks so much for your comments and compliments! It was an amazing project that was tiring and inspiring at the same time.

    In fairness, the principal just got caught up in the excitement of it all which is why she took it over. And since she is the face and voice of the school, she felt it was her responsibility to be in charge. Also since it was such a new idea, we really had no idea that it would be as labor intensive as it was nor did we have any way of knowing how successful it would become.

    John, it stopped for a few reasons. One, the school year ended. Second, the project took so much of our time that it distracted from our real jobs. Third, I was afraid that if we asked the students to make a new wish, they would get really greedy and it would take away from the innocence of their initial wishes.

    Yes, I would do it again but it would have to be at a different school like the one I am at now. Also I would get more staff and community support before tackling it on my own.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dean,
    Wow! What an amazing story and project! It is great that you came up with such a big idea and were able to see it through. I think I understand how you must have felt when your colleagues were not as excited about this endeavor as you were. I just recently had something similar happen to me as the club I sponsor took on a project of collecting cans and money for the local food bank in our town. We had all kinds of contest ideas for the teachers to do in their classrooms to help out. Only a handful of teachers stepped up to the plate and helped out. It was vey disappointing...although, those that did help out were absolutely wonderful.
    Now that you understand the roles of a project manager, do you think you will try something like this again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. show details May 13 (3 days ago)

    Hi Dean,
    I was truly moved and inspired by your real life "paying it forward" project. You saw the huge need and tackled it instead of just saying, it's a shame we can't do anything! The staff that you pitched the concept to reminds me of the "Negative Nelly's" I identified as roadblocks to project success. Many would have stopped once they didn't have full buy in; however, you persevered and accomplished a truly noble and memorable project. You will be remembered for such great work. Although you pointed out areas that could have improved, ultimately the kids got their wishes and in my book, there is no greater success!

    Now that you have Greer's steps and more knowledge of project management, you are well prepared for future obstacles. It was a great reminder to stick to the goals of the project. Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to start by congratulating you for that project idea. I was a teacher myself and would gladly do something like that at my school. I helps to raise moral and create a sense of community which every school needs.

    The biggest problem I see with your project, which you already noticed yourself, was the fact that there wasn't a consistent PM through the whole thing. I understand your situation and that it would have been really hard to make that change from how it went.
    If you were able to then it would have kept things working the way they were before.

    Each PM has their own way of handling a project and certain things that they feel is more important. These differences cause a project to run a certain way. By changing the PM things start to change in the middle of a project which can have dire consequences. You felt this with the lose of one of your biggest contributors.

    You are also right about everything running more smoothly with the project if you had more volunteers in the beginning. You had people that wanted to help in the middle once they saw how successful your idea was but that just added more "personnel" change to the project causing another shift in responsibilities. Once jobs are decided it is never a good idea to change them around, for the sake of the project.

    ReplyDelete